Sunday 12 October 2008

Quote(s) Time

My Intro
Few quotes are given below. I came across these in the book that I finished reading over the long weekend.

Quote
One thing I have learned in a long life; that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have – Einstein

Theories based on experience are essentially statistical; in that they formulate an ‘ideal average’ which abolishes all exceptions on either ends of the scale and replaces them by reality. Ultimately truth is the goal of science and this cannot be reached by our limited conscious experience – Carl Jung

What sleep is for the individual, death is for the ‘will’…Through the sleep of death it reappears fitted out with another intellect as a new thing..- Arthur Schopenhauer

Love your neighbor as yourself; Love one another as I have loved you; Love one another as I love the Father and Father loves me – Jesus

When there’s somebody fighting for a place to stand, for a decent job or a helping hand, where there’s somebody struggling to be free, look in their eyes Ma and you’ll see me – Bruce Springsteen

Would you agree with me that the problem of God is a problem of great importance – asked Father Copleston and Bertrand Russell replied “Roughly speaking, yes”

Lord, you need me as much as I need you. If you did not exist, whom would I pray to? If I did not exist, who would do the praying? – Jewish mystic Baal Shem

As long as you are suffering, whoever you are and whatever your suffering may be, I suffer also – Unknown

A man should be so poor that he is not and has not a place for God to act in – Eckhart

Take thyself off the battlefield today, you are exhausted, go refresh yourself and come back and fight tomorrow – Rama to Ravana in Kamba Ramayanam

I came along and I go as a stranger. I do not know who I’m nor what I have been doing. I have not been the protector and guardian of the empire. Life, so valuable, has been squandered in vain. I fear for my salvation, I fear my punishment. I believe in God’s bounty and mercy, but I’m afraid because of what I have done. Every torment I have inflicted, every sin I have committed, every wrong I have done, I carry the consequences with me – Aurangazeb in his letters to sons Azam and Kam Baksh

The inevitability of misery; the origin of misery in the craving for pleasure; the elimination of craving; and finally, the achievement of such elimination through the practice of the eightfold path – right view, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right Endeavour, right mindfulness and right concentration – Buddhism

Perceive rather than merely see, listen rather than merely hear, meditate rather than merely think – Yajnavalkya in Brihadaranyanka Upanishad

The wild geese do not intend to cast their reflection; the water has no mind to receive the image – a Zen Master

Have faith my son, have faith. Never confuse yourself in this, you are knowledge itself, you are lord, you are self, much beyond, nature – Ashtakvakra Samhita

He who is strong in concentration, weak in energy, is overcome by idleness, since concentration partakes of the nature of idleness. He who is opposite is overcome by distractions. Therefore, they should be made in balance to one another; from balance comes contemplation and ecstasy – Buddhaghosha

No comments:

Followers