Sunday 12 October 2008

Desire,Bondage,Grief,Anger,Freedom

My Intro
I read the following definitions in a book I’m reading these days. I don’t want to name the book for I feel it will color your perception. I had sent the following to few people. Below the definitions are given some of the reactions I got in response. I must admit, the reactions are far more interesting when compared to the definitionsJ

Definitions

Desire - Is an emotion that rises up to disturb the mind when it recognizes an object outside itself, and passionately hopes that the object of its fascination can give it a covetable satisfaction.

Bondage - Desiring and hating, accepting and rejecting, hunting after some things and being hunted after by other things; constructing and destroying; loving and fighting – from womb to tomb, the ego strives and struggles, pants and suffers; this is bondage

Grief - When, having procured an object-of-desire, if it decays in the embrace of the mind, the sorrow suffered by the mind is called grief

Anger – When the worldly objects assembled around a mind in a pattern that is in line with its present idea of joy, the mind feels happy; and when the things get arranged in a pattern contrary to the mind’s present idea of happiness, the mind revolts against them – and this is expressed as anger

Freedom - Is attained when the mind does not desire or grieve, does not accept or reject, and does not feel happy or angry at anything. Be a detached witness of things and happenings around, and look at them with the eyes of steady-wisdom; where there is no ‘I’, the perceiver, that is the state of freedom; and wherever there is the perceiver-‘I’ expressing, that is the state of bondage

No comments:

Followers